Thursday, September 22, 2016

Scrubbies

Take a look.

These are three scrubbies I just knit. I had my choice of what three balls I wanted and it was hard to choose because the colours are all so vibrant.

I was asked by Tiffany of YarnCanada to review Red Heart's Scrubby yarn. I had read some of the comments from other people who have used this yarn and I have to say, I didn't find it hard at all to knit up. With 5mm needles, they were quick to knit (as long as you have a bit of time) and I managed to knit these while watching a few TV programs. They are only 26 stitches wide and that works out to roughly 7.5 inches by 6.5 inches. I didn't want to fight with the stitches in the beginning and so I cast on using both knitting needles as one - just like my mother taught me. Even though I just knit a boring straight square or rectangle, I have seen some really nice patterns such as an owl, turtle and flowers. I've even seen it knit up into a mitt that looks like a frog.

The yarn is 100% polyester and 'hairy' with bits sticking out here and there but they didn't get in the way of my knitting like soft hairy yarns would. I tried it out to see if it was indeed a scrubby and it managed to get some cooked egg whites off the outside of my fry pan so yes, it is aptly named. It dries quickly and I'm pretty sure it won't smell like knitted cloth dishcloths tend to do after a bit of use. Totally machine washable in case you do want to spruce it up. 

To get your own Scrubby yarn, pop on over to YarnCanada and choose your favourite colour(s). There are some really gorgeous variegated colours too, not just solids. They have a flat rate of shipping of $5.00 and shipping is free for orders over $35.00. These are for Canadian orders. For international orders, contact the store.

One last thing - they carry other yarns too. 
YarnCanada.ca

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network once again.

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun project! Scrubby dishcloths are useful. I cast on like you do, so I know your mother has taught you a very useful Finnish skill there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made two scubbies about 3 months ago and can't believe how well they work. They wash out "cleanly" and dry over night and no smell. I didn't like the flat look of the pattern given so I made one up. I knitted a rectangle and then folded the unit in half to make a square. I had left longer ends of yarn at the end and used these to slip stitch three sides and then used the rest to weave back and forth through both thicknesses to make a "puffy" scrubby.I plan to make more and give away as Christmas gifts. I may need to buy more yarn. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure about this yarn when it came out in the Red Heart newsletter, so it's nice to see a review by someone I'm familiar with. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dolores

    These look like useful scrubbies and the colours and yarn look great.
    Happy weekend
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dishcloth knitting this year. It's been a while since I had proper dishcloths and I've enjoyed using them. I just put them in to soak in hot water and a dash of bleach when they start to get bit 'grim'. I like the idea of scrubbies though. I have no idea where I'd get the right kind of yarn over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these colours! I hope you have a great day ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.