Thursday, May 8, 2014

Wellington Museum and Archives

This past weekend my daughter Maili and I went to the Welllington Museum and Archives. It's about an hour and a half outside the city (when there aren't any road closures) and I wanted to see two quilt exhibits. One was the Connections Fibre Artists who pay tribute to the Group of Seven. The other was quilter Renske Helmuth. At the time we were there the 2014 Aboriginal Heritage Festival was taking place too. The First Nations dancers put on a show in the same room as the fibre art display and so it was difficult to view all of the pieces up close. We did see most of them but I didn't take any photos. Down the hall was Renske Helmuth's quilts. Here are just some of them.

I loved the setting and all the flowers.

There were many small quilts.

This was a study for a bigger quilt.

Click on the photos to see them bigger.

Maili liked the border detail and the way that it makes them look like they are actually framed with a mat.

Stunning work, all hand appliqued.

Isn't he cute?

Just a few close-ups.

Hand quilted by others.

See the snail?

Just beautiful work.

Storks with Japanese sashiko stitching.

Very precise and quilted following the lines and applique.

Piping detail for the border.

Black is not easy to quilt.





Each of the unprinted blocks is a sashiko sampler.

The applique is on a piece of lace.

I love the fabric she used for the pot.

I just love the scroll work framing the centre.

That's it, that's all. I ran out of memory on my camera card. 

Have a great weekend and I hope you get to see or do something creative.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dolores,

    How lovely you and your daughter went to visit the Museum and see all these gorgeous quilts. Thanks for showing us - they are all wonderful.
    Happy weekend
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing. The detail on the black one is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely. I particularly loved seeing the detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilts. Thanks for sharing. I took a class with Renske Helmuth a couple of years ago. We did a very boring ribbon flower. I would much rather have taken one of her applique classes. As immigrants, originally from The Netherlands, I felt we had a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharin this lovely dhow . I had read about Renske in the Canadian Quilter magazine a while back , she is quite the artist .

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful virtual quilt show! I am blown away by the first one with all the gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous set of photos, Dolores! I bet it was hard to pull yourself away. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a talented fabric artist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.