Tuesday, August 27, 2013

One off the frame and one on

Remember this little snippet I showed a couple of posts back?

Well, as you can see, it's on the frame here. Any guesses as to what it is? Red, white and blue?








Ah, the Union Jack. Here it is, all finished with the piecing. At this stage, I really, really wanted to keep it. I loved all the dark blues, the various whites and the RICH REDS. I'm not a red person but this combination packed a wallop (in other words, it was intense.)

Here it is, on the frame. It didn't take long to quilt. The centre cross is stitched in the ditch and the four corners are quilted following the diagonal lines. Since the edges get stretched and pinned onto the frame, I decided to put the binding on before quilting it. So clever. It's just single fold binding and it is cut on the straight of the grain. This is just a wall hanging and will not get any wear.

Just a pic of the backing. A little 'tongue in cheek.' You can see the direction that I quilted it.

Totally finished...

and given to the recipient, David, the birthday boy.


And since I have so many quilts that need to be finished or worked on, I just felt like quilting something. I do have some small quilts and kits that I will be sewing too (maybe for Christmas gifts.)

This one has been hanging around all finished but I didn't like all that emptiness in the middle. I couldn't come up with anything nice to put in it (I was thinking of applique) so it will be quilted with straight lines and stars. Lots and lots of stars. It was one of the Mystery Mailouts featured by The Quilt Patch in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. They had a Christmas or winter mystery that was only mailed out to whoever signed up. It would begin in October and every ten days, for six installments, you got another step. I did it for a number of years and it took me a while to realize that they are not my colours. The quilts all seemed to be in the same colour palette and it just wasn't me. I have other mystery quilts waiting to be put together and they will be completed one day. 
I may just add the binding on this one too before it gets put on the frame - or maybe not.

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network and Esther's blog.
I'm heading over to see what's new in Canada and in the rest of the world. Care to join me?

15 comments:

  1. I love your union flag, I am still working on Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flag's amazing. The colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Union Jack is super. I agree with your that the deep, rich colors make it gorgeous. Love your backing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Union Jack is wonderful , well done ! Love the quilt you are about to quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Union Jack. What a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Union Jack is BRILLIANT!! Is there a pattern or did you just dream it up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the intensity of the Union Jack. The backing is a fun touch. I like the small quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that Union Jack! I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the reds in the amazing flag! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flag quilt looks great, very nice use of different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Dolores! The flag is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the union jack! did you draft the pattern yourself? I have an english transplant friend who will love to see it so i am sending her a link to your blog -- she is not a quiltmaker tho... Sometimes it is interesting to work in a different colour palate than is your usual but after awhile, you always want to get back to your own style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, I love the reds in the Union Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Really nice quilt! The colours are really nice - I like your backing choice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I agree, this is lovely, I made a Canadian Flag quilt and gave it to Nathan Cullen, our MP for Skeena

    http://goodearthquilting.blogspot.ca/2012/03/my-oh-canada-crazy-quilt-is-at-ndp.html

    I'm working on next Wednesday link up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.