Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Another province - Part 2 - Bird watching

Not all of the birds we see on a daily basis are wild. Some of them are found on farms or in the city. These are egg laying chickens.
Two kitties just lounging around. They are both good mousers. Unfortunately, a bird or two falls prey to their hunting skills. The tabby is Stan Lee and the other one adopted Stan Lee and his home and so, for lack of a better name, is called Orange Cat. Super friendly.

This is the neighbour's cat. He has no tail and is rarely seen. I guess he's the shy kind.
There are lots of birds that are in the area. I already showed you the male and female American Goldfinches but there are so many more. Two that I didn't get photos of are the beautiful Rufous Hummingbird that is a rusty-orange and Anna's Hummingbird that is green with a red head. They are hard to capture standing still - so to speak.

You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it. There is a robin right in the middle of the picture. I basically shot this photo blind. I knew it flew into the tree and I just aimed and shot.

A Hairy Woodpecker hanging off a piece of deer fat. He seems to like it.

This one is a Downy Woodpecker. Both are very similar in colouring but the Hairy Woodpecker is larger and has a longer beak.

These gorgeous little birds with the red colouring are Purple Finches. They are quite striking but have no purple at all on them.They are similar to the House Finch.

A Ruffed Grouse just waiting to have it's photo taken.

Then, of course, there was that Bald Eagle just hanging around one day. It did have a mate the first time I spotted it.

I will leave you today with a photo of these two pair of Evening Grosbeaks.

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen an Evening Grosbeak before - they're pretty! You really know your birds, Dolores. I've been seeing a red-headed woodpecker around here lately, can't remember their real name at the moment, hope I can get a pic someday. I'll have to sneak out when he's putting holes in our roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am thanking you for putting a name to the Purple Finches for me! We have been getting them come to our bird feeder now and then and I could never find the right name for them! Love the woodpeckers too, I have never seen them tho, I guess we are to much in the city, tho the park across the road has a eagle nest for about the last 5 years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting some great bird shots; I particularly love the woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering if we have ever seen a bald eagle down our stream :-)?
    NOPE... if we did it would be a first.
    Great birdy pics Dolores. All that company..... thanks for showing all the beautiful birds we would never see over here :-)
    :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! I haven't' seen a grosbeak for years and years so it was nice to see your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see your birds. We too have woodpeckers and finches but different species.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts.