Saturday, February 18, 2017

Fleece vests

I have been doing more little people sewing. This time it's vests for two little boys. One with extra pockets and both with the back longer.

Fleece has two sides. One is smooth and the other is a bit ruffled. I made the body of the vest on the smooth side and the pockets are the ruffled side. 

 Both vests are lined with flannel. This purple fleece has been in my stash for quite a while and I'm glad that it is getting used. It's quite a bit thicker than the blue fleece.

We have a long weekend and the temperatures are really quite nice. Monday is Family Day and homemade pizza is on the menu. I need to start working on a baby quilt - or two.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

A little bit busy

I have been busy but not really with sewing or knitting. I have been busy the past few weeks looking after my little grandchildren. It seems that the whole family has had the flu and passed it on. One after the other, we all got it but we're okay now.

Little Teemu got another sleep sack. 

It has two different flannel linings. I was not paying attention and cut the first piece the wrong way. I did have enough of the little sheep flannel for both the front and the back but I just wasn't thinking when I pinned and cut the pattern.

Luckily I had enough thin quilt batting for the front and the back. I really didn't want to have to buy anything if I didn't have to.

The batting just gives it a bit more stability and warmth.

Here he is with his daddy, Casey, who just became a full fledged Canadian resident.

This photo is purposely upside down to show that I also made the front of this sleep sack upside down. It's the only way that the pattern fit the fabric. This way the animals on the fabric are the right way when Teemu looks at them.

This quilt may look a little familiar.

We finished putting it together and last week Marg found time to put it and the blue one on the frames.

Marg's daughter has MS and is wheelchair bound. This one is for her.

Initially, both quilts were bigger. Marg found out that her daughter was using a large bath towel on her lap to keep her warm. The lap quilt she had was just too big and so we revised our wheelchair lap quilt sizes to make them the same size as a large bath sheet. This way, nothing gets caught in the wheels.

On a sad note, our little Pixel left us. She was 19.5 which turned out to be about 94 in human years. 

I made these today along with two loaves of multigrain bread. These are Zucchini Tater Tots and you can find the recipe here. They are gluten free. Yesterday I made vegetarian chili to go along with the multigrain bread. We brought it all over to my son's place. With all the snow we got, his vehicle was snowed in and so he invited us over. It's all gone now.

Sunday, February 5, 2017

The mystery quilt revealed

I finally took time to sew all the blocks together for the Meadow Mystery quilt. It's all ironed too.

I will probably add a border but not right away. There is still some of the black floral fabric left so I would have to piece it. I also have quite a bit of the off white broadcloth. Two borders would be fine by me.  
I have other things now to sew, knit and quilt. There's no hurry to finish this quilt. The blocks are 12" finished so it's a 60" square quilt at the moment.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Sleep sack

As an old school mother, I didn't get the whole sleep sack thing. It wasn't until I became a grandmother for the third and fourth times (twins) that I found out what I didn't know. Cribs are no longer supposed to have bumper pads. Little ones are no longer supposed to have stuffed toys or blankets in their cribs when they sleep. How does one keep a little one warm when they are sleeping? Well, of course, it's the sleep sack. The ones you can purchase and even the ones that you can buy patterns for and make yourself are great but only for a certain time frame. Little ones grow - and grow quickly. The twins needed new, longer sleep sacks and I made them each one after altering the pattern and making it a bit longer (about 7 inches.)

In order to fit the lengthened pattern onto the fabric that I wanted to use, one side of the cat fabric sleep sack had to be cut upside down.

 It took some thought but I finally figured out that if it's on the wearer and she looks down at what she's wearing, the cats will be the right way for her.

When I made Teemu's sleep sack I had to use the fabric crosswise. I am trying to use up fabric from my stash and I did manage to find enough flannel for the lining. 

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Hooded

For years I wanted to make a hooded towel. My eldest grandson, Luc, had one that was made by one of his mother's friends. It was a great size with one side being towelling fabric and the other side was flannel. I took measurements but never ended up making it. I wanted to make one for each of the three little people. I purchased actual towels because they were cheaper than buying towelling fabric. I have loads of flannel to use up. Well, last weekend our family held our 'second Christmas' again when our youngest daughter, Ayla, came home. I wanted to make something quick and new for little Teemu so I thought about the hooded towel. I even had a pattern this time. It was one of the older patterns in my stash (yes, I have a stash of patterns, not just fabric.)

This is it. Fun flannel purchased on sale a while ago.

The towelling fabric is soft and much better than those stretchy hooded baby towels.

 I really like the size and hope that Teemu can use it for years to come.

There wasn't enough of the white to cut the hood part too so I used another towel I purchased that was a tad too small (not wide enough for this pattern.)

Teemu's daddy trying it on.

I will be making a couple more.